Thank you for your interest in registering your student organization. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill supports an atmosphere where students can openly share ideas, interests, and concerns. Through involvement with co-curricular activities and attendance at programs sponsored by student groups, students can develop their skills, knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors in regard to dynamic learning, honor, personal responsibility, and community engagement. Involvement in co-curricular activities plays an important and complementary role to learning in the classroom, and the University strongly supports student creation of and involvement in organizations.
Annual Registration Process:
Registered student organizations must reapply for registration annually. Organizations that transition leadership during the spring or summer will complete their registration during the fall application period, that opens on August 15th and closes on September 30th. Organizations that transition leadership during the fall semester will complete their registration during the spring application period, that opens on December 1st and closes on January 31st. The registration form must be submitted and officer orientation sessions attended prior to those deadlines in order for your organization to maintain your registered status for the year. It is good practice to keep in mind the annual registration date to alleviate any issues. Click on the 'Requirements of Registration' tab below for more information.
There are three steps in the re-registration process:
- Complete and submit the Registration Form and complete any necessary edits by communicated deadline
- Your student organization advisor must complete the online Advisor Agreement Form by registration deadline (link for 2019-2020 form found here)
- Officer Orientation Sessions, two officers must attend but do not have to attend the same session (view below)
Registration extends from the time an organization is approved by the Office of Student Life & Leadership until September 30th of the following academic year for organizations that transition in the spring/summer and until January 31st for organizations that transition in the fall. If you have questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
Both the president and the treasurer must attend at least one session during the registration time period for that organization (one person can receive credit for multiple organizations) and both officers do not have to attend the same session. You can RSVP for the OO Session you can attend by navigating to Heel Life and searching 'Officer Orientation Session'.
Spring Officer Orientation Sessions
January 14, 2020
5:30p - 6:30p / CU Auditorium
January 16, 2020
5:30p - 6:30p / CU Auditorium
January 22, 2020
5p - 6p / CU Auditorium
January 23, 2020
6p - 7p / CU Auditorium
January 28, 2020
6:30p - 7:30p / CU Auditorium
January 30, 2020
5:30p - 6:30p / CU Auditorium
If your organization is a Sport Club, University Sponsored Organization, or connected with a professional school - there are specific sessions tailored towards those groups. Connect with your advisor or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The student who is the primary contact of the organization should complete the registration form by navigating to Heel Life.
- Select the "Log In" icon at the top right corner of the page.
- Use your ONYEN and ONYEN password to log in.
- Select the "Organizations" link along the top toolbar.
- Click the 'Registration' button on the left side of the page.
- Type the name of the organization in the top search bar to find the organization.
- Click on your organization's name to begin the re-registration form.
- Complete the form and click submit.
If you cannot find your organization using the search function of heellife.unc.edu this means your group is not currently registered and has been designated as 'lapsed' or 'inactive' in our registration records. Please contact us at email@example.com to get your page changed to active so you can submit the registration form during one of the two registration periods.
It is extremely important that you inform the Office of Student Life & Leadership (SLL) of your current contact information by updating the organization's Heel Life page. We use this information to send out important messages related to organizations throughout the year, including info about deadlines and opportunities. Your organization’s listing should be updated any time information about your organization changes. You can find step-by-step instructions by clicking here.
August 24, 2019 (8AM – 3PM) throughout CU – Student Orgs Leadership Retreat (SOLR)
August 27, 2019 (5:30PM – 6:30PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 3, 2019 (6:30PM – 7:30PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 5, 2019 (5:00PM – 6:00PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 9, 2019 (6:00PM – 7:00PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 11, 2019 (5:00PM – 6:00PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 12, 2019 (12:00PM - 2:00PM) 3206 A-B – Advisor Welcome Back Lunch
Sept 17, 2019 (6:30PM – 7:30PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 18, 2019 (5:00PM – 8:00PM) Union Auditorium – Student Orgs Networking Night
Sept 24, 2019 (5:00PM – 8:00PM) Rams Head Plaza – First Year Faves Involvement Fair
Sept 25, 2019 (11:00AM – 2:00PM) in the CU Pit – Student Orgs Fall Involvement Fair
Sept 25, 2019 (6:00PM – 7:00PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Sept 30, 2019 (6:00PM – 7:00PM) Union Auditorium – Fall Officer Orientation Session
Nov 5, 2019 (5:00PM – 8:00PM) Great Hall – Student Org Officer Transition Dinner
Dec 4, 2019 (4:00PM – 5:30PM) in Room 3411 – Spring Officer Orientation Session
1. Use, through reservation, of specified University facilities, property, services, or equipment pursuant to The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Facilities Use Policy (http://policies.unc.edu/policies/fac-use/).
2. Use of the University’s name in the organization’s title, so long as University sponsorship or endorsement is not implied or stated.
If you desire to use the University’s name as part of your organization’s name, it should follow one of these forms:
- Organization Name at (The) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Organization Name at UNC-CH
- Organization Name at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Organization Name at Carolina
- UNC-CH Organization Name
- UNC-Chapel Hill Organization Name
- Carolina Organization Name
3. Access to funding from the Student Activity Fee that is legislatively apportioned by the Undergraduate Senate and access to funding from the Graduate and Professional Student Senate appropriations.
4. Assistance from Student Affairs including, but not limited to, the Carolina Union, Accessibility Resources & Service, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, and Campus Recreation. Available are: leadership training and educational workshops, general organizational advisement, assistance in publicity and marketing, program planning advisement, reference materials, and more.
- Tax exempt status and/or use of the University’s tax ID number.
- Guaranteed funding for the student organization.
- Endorsement of the viewpoints of the student organization.
Failure to complete all of the necessary steps outlined above will result in the loss of the organization's registration status with the university and the organization will lose the benefits associated with registration that are outlined on the tabs below. Organizations that do not complete the steps outlined above by their designated registration period will be set as inactive or lapsed in their registration with the university and will have to wait until the next registration period to register.
It is the organization's responsibility to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line 'Lapsed Organization' to re-activate the organization's HL page so you can complete the registration process.