The Carolina Union is an organization of students, professional staff, and part-time student staff dedicated to providing programs, services, and facilities for all members of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus community. The Union contributes to the educational mission of the institution through the provision of cultural, social, educational and entertaining programs sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board and the Union.
The Carolina Union creates safe, inclusive, and educational experiences that enable students to maximize their time at Carolina.
The Student Union is named in honor of Frank Porter Graham, University President 1930-49. Construction on the original 100,000 square foot building was completed in 1969 and included meeting facilities, student offices, lounges, billiards and game room, bowling alley, administrative and Activities Board offices, an art gallery and a 400 seat capacity meeting room (the Great Hall). In the summer of 1980, a $1.75 million expansion of the original building was completed. This added approximately 20,000 square feet to the original building and houses a 400 seat auditorium, four meeting rooms, organizational offices, space for campus publications, and the student radio station. In June 2000, construction on a 40,000 square foot expansion began and renovation of the original facilities began in Spring 2002. The major overhaul of the Union took 3.5 years and cost over $15 million – all paid for by student fees.