Student Organization Advisors
At UNC-Chapel Hill, all Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) are required to have an advisor to maintain registration with the University. This requirement is in place because of the value that advisors add to student organizations. Advisors provide guidance and continuity for organizations, and contribute to the overall development and sustainability of the groups they advise. Click here for the 2020-2021 Student Org Advisor Agreement Form.
To serve as an advisor to an RSO, one must be a full-time faculty member or staff member of UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC Hospitals, or an affiliated department; an emeritus UNC-Chapel Hill faculty or staff member; UNC-CH retiree with affiliate status; or a campus minister.
Expectations of Advisors and the Organizations They Advise
The level of involvement that advisors have with their organizations varies, but there are some basic requirements of an advisor. Groups and their advisors are required to review and complete the Online Advisor Agreement Form annually in which the basic expectations of each party are defined. The minimum expectations of advisors are as follows:
- Maintaining regular contact with the organization
- Assisting the organization in abiding by UNC-Chapel Hill policies
- Helping the organization to seek out and utilize available resources
- Being familiar with the goals and activities of the organization
- Providing support and guidance as needed
The minimum expectations of the organization include:
- Abiding by UNC-Chapel Hill's policies and guidelines and seeking out counsel when there is a question about the organization's programs or activities
- Consulting with the advisor as needed
- Updating the advisor regarding organizational activities
- Inviting the advisor to organizational functions
The student organization advisor and student organization officers may also agree upon specific duties and expectations, but those duties and expectations are optional, and should be mutually agreed upon in writing by the student organization advisor and the student organization officers.
Based on the feedback we received from advisors and students alike, we created a comprehensive, interactive webinar focusing on the various aspects of serving as a student organization advisor. This is the first of many initiatives aimed at providing more resources for advisors throughout the year.
You can access the webinar here: AdvisorWebinar_Final.ppsx. Once you get started, you can click on a topic to be directed to that specific information, and then click the "Home" button to return to the main page. You may also work through the webinar from beginning to end.
The topics included in the webinar:
- Intro to Student Life & Leadership
- Advisor Requirements
- Advisor Roles
- Heel Life 101
- Keeping Up with Your Student Leaders
- Advisor Do's and Don'ts
- Common Problems Student Organizations Face
- Effective Organization Leadership Transitions
- Organization Duties to the Advisor
- Carolina Union Resources