Sales and Event Admission
Groups conducting sales in the Union or Pit must obtain a sales permit from the Office of Event Services. Raffles are strictly prohibited. Sales must be cash only.
Guidelines for Selling Merchandise for Student Organizations
If 100% of proceeds are to go towards a charitable non-profit or directly to the sponsoring student organization, the sponsoring organization must obtain a red Carolina Union sales permit and follow the following guidelines:
- The primary purpose of sales shall be to raise money for the benefit of the student organization or the benefit of a charitable group.
- Only members of the official group may sell and/or conduct promotional services and sales.
- Sales must take place in the FPG Pit or FPG Pit Solicitation tables.
- No group may sell goods or services on consignment, rent, or lease, and must show their bill of sale / receipt.
- No sales or sales promotion shall be conducted in such a manner as to establish or to extend to the campus the appearance of a commercial enterprise.
- The sponsoring organization must agree to be responsible for any damages to University property or facilities as a result of the sales activity.
- The sponsoring organization must agree to remove any and all refuse or waste on campus that results directly or indirectly from their sales activity.
- Raffles are prohibited at the University.
- Any sales involving the UNC-CH logo must be licensed through the Licensing Directors office through Auxiliary Services, 919-962-2403. Failure to receive and document proper licensing to sell UNC-CH logo will result in not receiving a sales permit. (Items being sold with other public/private logos will need proof of licensing to receive a sales permit.)
- The red Carolina Union Sales Permit must be visibly displayed on the table at all times.
If any for-profit sales are to take place, the seller must follow the following guidelines:
- The seller collects 80% of proceeds; the remaining 20% go to the Union. Settlement must take place at the conclusion of the event.
- The sponsoring artist or group must supply sellers. Union staff may be hired at current labor rates.
- A full count of all monies and merchandise must take place in the presence of Union staff at the beginning and conclusion of sales and documented on the provided Union Merchandise Form.
- The seller is responsible for collecting all taxes in accordance with state and federal laws.
Use of Carolina Union Managed Exterior Spaces by Charitable Organizations for Commercial Exchange
A charitable organization, as defined by the Facilities Use Policy may sell goods or solicit contributions for their organization in Union managed spaces and are subject to the following:
- Organizations may book no more than 3 days a semester in advance
- Reservation requests are subject to the reservation request cycle for student organizations follow
- Additional days may be booked if the request is within the 7 days for these spaces
- Groups will need to obtain and display a sales permit from the Office of Event Services prior to the reservation
- Event Services reserves the right to limit or deny reservations for non-affiliated charitable organizations based on other factors including demand, location and purposes for the use of the area.
Guidelines for Sponsorship of Union Events
- No promotion shall be conducted in such a manner as to establish or to extend to the campus the appearance of a commercial enterprise.
- A brand may be associated with an event if justifiable for the purpose of furthering the missions of the University, Carolina Union, and sponsoring organization. Events involving such branding must follow the following format:
- (Sponsoring organization) presents: the (brand name) (event name)
- Events accepting donations at the Stone Center are required to have Box Office staff present.
- Require donations for entry to an event is considered a ticketed event and is subject to the ticketed event policies.
- An event is considered ticketed if there is any exchange of goods or moneys in order to gain access to the event, including required donations.
- All ticketed events in the FPG Student Union & Stone Center:
- Must be ticketed by the CU Box Office.
- Will be available to the public at the Box Office window and by phone.
- Must have CU Box Office staff at the event.
- Events in spaces scheduled by the Office of Event Services but outside the Carolina Union and Stone Center must use the services of the CU Box Office. Depending on location and schedule, CU Box Office staffing at the event may be available, but is not required.
- Events anticipating capacity or above crowds, conferences with pre-registration or any other event that is open to the public and allows or guarantees entrance based on registration or other criteria are required to consult with the CU Box Office at time of reservation. If the CU Box Office Manager determines ticketing is required for an event, it will be subject to all standard Box Office policies and procedures.
- Before any ticketing services can be finalized, the space for a ticketed event must be confirmed through the Office of Event Services. If the event is not occurring in a space booked by the Event Services Office, the client must submit the following to the Box Office Manager:
- Name of the venue
- Name and contact information for event coordinator of the venue
- Maximum capacity, as dictated by the event and space
- If the event is canceled, the organization representative must notify the Box Office directly. If the Box Office is notified of an event cancellation:
- Setup, ticket printing and commission fees are billed as incurred expenses, regardless of cancellation timeline. To avoid the setup fee, event must be canceled by 12:00pm one business day prior to the ticket on-sale date.
- Labor fees will be charged according to the Cancellation Policy, IV-F
- The Box Office Manager reserves the right to cancel an event due to a breach of the Box Office contract.
- Sales taxes must be collected on admission charges to a live performance regardless of filing status. The total sales tax rate is currently 7.5% for Orange County. Applicable sales tax and fees will be added to all tickets purchased. The Union will pay all appropriate sales tax on behalf of the organization when contacted for ticketing services. For any questions regarding ticket taxes please contact email@example.com.
This policy follows the UNC-CH Facilities Use Policy
Sharing and printing options: