The Carolina Union creates safe, inclusive, and educational experiences that enable students to maximize their time at Carolina. (Last updated: February 2014)
The Student Union is named in honor of Frank Porter Graham, University President 1930-49. Construction on the original 100,000 square foot building was completed in 1969 and included: meeting facilities, student offices, lounges, billiards and game room, bowling alley, administrative and Activities Board offices, an art gallery and a 400 seat capacity meeting room (the Great Hall). In the summer of 1980, a $1.75 million expansion of the original building was completed. This added approximately 20,000 square feet to the original building and houses a 400 seat auditorium, four meeting rooms, organizational offices, space for campus publications, and the student radio station. In June 2000, construction on a 40,000 square foot expansion began and renovation of the original facilities began in Spring 2002. The major overhaul of the Union took 3.5 years and cost over $15 million – all paid for by student fees.