Amplified Sound Policy
- Amplified sound is permitted outdoors on Fridays between 5pm-10pm, Saturdays from 8am-10pm, and Sundays from 8am-7pm.
- In general, amplified events are prohibited outdoors during class hours, regardless of the time of day with the exception of Wednesdays and Thursdays between 12pm-1pm in the Pit, Plaza and SASB Courtyard.
- All outdoor events are subject to the noise provision of the Town of Chapel Hill Code of Ordinances (Chapter 11, Article III).
- Organizations seeking to have events outdoors that involve amplified sound must be explicit about their intent when making a reservation with the Office of Event Services.
- If asked by Carolina Union Staff to lower the sound level, you must do so immediately and without question. Failure to do so could result in the cancellation of your reservations for the balance of the semester and/or academic year.
- Amplified sound in the Pit, other than from personal systems such as “boom boxes” or pc speakers, is prohibited due to the close proximity of libraries and classroom buildings. Any other sound system must be arranged in advance with Carolina Union Production Services (CUPS) and/or staffed by CUPS technicians at an hourly cost to the client.
- The sound level is not to exceed acceptable levels as decided by the Carolina Union staff.
This policy follows the UNC-CH Facilities Use Policy