Here at Carolina, LDOC is a Tar Heel tradition. It’s a day of connection and engagement. A time we all rejoice and shake off the stress of a long semester that is now behind us, before focusing on upcoming exams. We want everyone to know that LDOC is not cancelled, it is reimagined. We know that a virtual event is not the same as our traditional celebration, but it’s still important to acknowledge the great accomplishment of our students, staff, and faculty, for making it to LDOC together. Celebrating each other and our achievements is important now more than ever!
LDOC 2020 will include an entire week of activities for you to engage, reflect and enjoy. Here are some ways we hope to all safely celebrate together virtually.
#UNCLDOC2020 Spirit Week:
Monday – Motivational Monday
Let's get motivated by posting a motivational quote or mantra to kick off the last week of classes.
Make sure to use #UNCLDOC2020 and tag @unchealthyheels in your posts.
Tuesday – This or That
Time to pick your favorite spot on campus using the #UNCLDOC2020 “this or that” challenge.
Make sure to follow @unchealthyheels for the this or that opportunity. Make sure to use #UNCLDOC2020 and tag @healthyheels in your posts.
Wednesday – Pets and PJ’s
Post a pic in your pajamas with your pets and @unchealthyheels #UNCLDOC2020 for the chance to get reposted.
Thursday – Throwback Tar Heel Thursday
Time to reflect- post your favorite Tar Heel memory and don't forget to use #UNCLDOC2020 and tag @unchealthyheels in your posts for the chance to get reposted.
Friday – LDOC Contests:
Complete the challenge and to officially enter the contests:
- Follow @unchealthyheels
- Tag @unchealthyheels in your post
- Use #UNCLDOC2020 in your post
* TikTok on LDOC - Create a TikTok video with school spirit. Be creative, wear Carolina gear, or use songs like Sweet Caroline. Follow the contest rules to enter.
LDOC Bingo - @unchealthyheels will post the LDOC 20 Bingo template for you to post your results for the B-I-N-G-O win.
Fort Building - Get creative in your space. Build a fort and post a photo post for us to see. Remember to follow @unchealthyheels, tag @unchealthyheels in your post, and use #UNCLDOC2020 in your post
LDOC Contest Rules:
There will be 3 winners for each contest for a total of 6 winners. To enter the contests you must:
- Follow @unchealthyheels account
- Tag @unchealthyheels in your post
- Hashtag #UNCLDOC2020 in your post
Posts can be made on your story or feed as long as you have completed the three requirements above. Make it fun and be original. Feel free to include your kids, friends/roommates, siblings, parents, or pets, but please continue to use physical distance as appropriate. Winners will be contacted immediately following the contests, and prizes will be provided either in-person or by mail.
Be mindful that posts violating our community agreements will be removed and reported.
Disqualifiers: References to/or visible alcohol and/or other drugs in posts. Blatant disrespect to self or community members.
Stay Healthy on LDOC!
Take care of yourself and your community…it’s the CAROLINA WAY!
Remember proper distancing measures while you celebrate, as recommended by the CDC as well as your local or state authorities.
Physical distancing doesn’t mean we have to lose social connection, and part of connecting with each other is also looking out for each other. That’s why on LDOC, and every day of the year, we highlight ways that each of us can build a community of care through being an active bystander. Even as we limit our physical connections, we still have the opportunity to be active bystanders by supporting vulnerable members of our community.
Taking care of yourself, your friends, and your family can help you cope with stress. Helping others cope with their stress can also make your community stronger.
While it could be tempting to turn to alcohol to cope with this stressful time, know that alcohol consumption can weaken your immune system and negatively impact your ability to regulate your emotions. Most UNC students drink moderately, if they choose to drink at all (UNC-Chapel Hill CORE Alcohol & Drug Survey, 2019).
Coping 101 (LINKS TO GUIDANCE FROM THE CDC)
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Support your friends, family and your community.
- Go old school and CALL.
- Mail letters or cards (really OLD School).
- Email short positive messages.
- Text messages with jokes, memes, funny pictures and/or encouragement.
- Video chat, utilizing apps that allow for play (trivia, card, drawing, word finds or puzzles). Houseparty app
- Host a watch party with friends on Netflix
Here are few UNC-CH provided activities:
- Watch a performance hosted by the Carolina Performing Arts
- Create some #UNCArtFromHome Arts Everywhere
- Take a virtual class with Campus Rec
No matter how you celebrate LDOC, take time to reflect, center wellbeing and support each other.